JARACAL

Forum vir die Jagter/Forum for the Hunter
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: fence poles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 am 

Morning guys.can anybody tell me what poles are better and last longer the normal creosote pole or tanalinth pressure treated poles(the green ones).any opinions appreciated thanks

Post subject: Re: fence poles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:44 pm 

Creosote... personal opinion... firebreaks kill the green ones in two seasons by me. I use the 250 - 300mm wide ones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm 

Josh...
On specs there should not be a "better" one between the 2 of them. It comes down to personal preference. Your supplier should be SABS approved, if not, stay away. I've first hand experience in the industry! If up to standard, them poles are meant to withstand all elements and have a 'shelve life' of atleast 25years +. Even though as Bees mentioned above, fire should not cause them to rot or disintegrate. There is a minimum spec according to SABS for solution penetration into the pole, if that is up to standard, there will only be surface damage in that matter...
Creosote = oil base, messy, smelly, dirty to handle, migrates in heat etc etc. used for fencing / kraals / pens and so..
Tanalith or CCA( Copper, Chrome, Arsenic) = water base, not messy when dry, not smelly, easy to handle etc etc. used maily for thatch roofing or recreational purposes...

If in doubt, feel free to give me a call and I can thoroughly explain to you what to look for on the items when purchasing to ensure longevity. Remember, it does not only come down to the treatment method, but the type of timber used plays a very very big role as well.

My nr : zero 8 double 2 double 6 double 4 one six...

Hope it helps.. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:27 am 

Thanks so much bees and polla for your reply. I will be doing a standard 1,4stockfence with 7vertical steel wire's. So I think I'll go the creosote route. I do burn the area I'm fencing once a year so I Hope I don't have too much of a problem otherwise I'll just have to watch the poles and soon find out. Do you think I'll get away with using 125mm poles on box anchors and 75-100s inbetween.? I'm trying to beat cost as I'm still a young farmer but want to do it probably first time round aswell. Thanks again polls have a lekker weekend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm 

Josh, why are you using 7 steel and not barbed wire in a stock fence, and yes, the poles will work for box anchors, but I would use "I" standards at 12 m or 15 m intervals along the fence, not poles. I have just done a new fence if you want to come and have a look.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:11 pm 

Josh... if you fence properly the first time... you invest in time. The better you do it the less maintenance you need to do to follow up. Cost is a problem, so do the best with what you have! The thicker your box posts the better

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 am 

Hi Wayne .it's just for dairy cows. They're realy dumb things so won't really push through aswell as horses that I put into that camp. It's just a small camp next to our house+-5hec .thanks for the offer Wayne. Sorry I missed the farmers shoot the other day I went home for the weekend .heard it was great fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 am 

Hi Wayne .it's just for dairy cows. They're realy dumb things so won't really push through aswell as horses that I put into that camp. It's just a small camp next to our house+-5hec .thanks for the offer Wayne. Sorry I missed the farmers shoot the other day I went home for the weekend .heard it was great fun. Another thing. Do you know if access spray for Acacia trees is any good Wayne or could you recommend another? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 am 

I think it works on young trees, 6ft and shorter, Swithen is spraying it, and it seems to be doing the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:14 pm 

Thanks I'll try it