JARACAL

Forum vir die Jagter/Forum for the Hunter
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: What is a good steel?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:25 pm 

Hi guys, reading on some of the forums here l found an interesting quote, "I do believe you know that with a good steel you can get a good edge" My question is, what do you guys consider as a good steel and or which brand you feel has a good steel that will hold a good edge? I have a few knives from a buck lite 420HC (Which I'm not really impressed with, maybe blade is a little small l dont know.), Opinel and a Joseph Rogers that l use as EDC knives and take turns carring. Also a big fan of victorinox knives which im hoping to get one soon. Look forward to hearing other people's opinions and reasonings.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 pm 

Medic3388 wrote:
Hi guys, reading on some of the forums here l found an interesting quote, "I do believe you know that with a good steel you can get a good edge" My question is, what do you guys consider as a good steel and or which brand you feel has a good steel that will hold a good edge? I have a few knives from a buck lite 420HC (Which I'm not really impressed with, maybe blade is a little small l dont know.), Opinel and a Joseph Rogers that l use as EDC knives and take turns carring. Also a big fan of victorinox knives which im hoping to get one soon. Look forward to hearing other people's opinions and reasonings.
Thanks

I do not know a lot about knifes but can offer a little help.
Look for the type of steel like D1, O2, AUS 8, VG 10, 420A.
I also look at the hardness of the steel between Rockwell 58 to 60. My opinion is that the guys that advertise the hardness of their blades is worthwhile looking at.

Regards
Henning

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:37 am 

I think production knives if you don't mind some of the designs Spyderco's steels are good and treated very well. Some of the knives that come from Colorado or japan would be good. For edc the paramilitary 2 is fantastic. If you are looking for something more traditional the japan Kershaw's are good. And as far as as old school pocket knives are concerned Case is awesome. Other brands that treat the steel well which is more important than the actual steel is. Bench Made , Al mar.

Any of the cpm steels are great.
O1, d1, vg10. Etc are all good but it comes down to what you want to use the knife for.

404 Jeffery

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:09 am 

++>: ++>: Thanks for the speedy replies. It will be for EDC although that is a vague term. I'm cautious to cut all I want as I keep wondering how fast I will blunt the blade and wull have to re sharpen it. Typical uses would be cutting packets, firewood bags, meat off the grid, cut rope, wire strippers and cut parcels open etc. What makes offer Aus 8 steel? Is D tool steel not really sifficult to sharpen? I have a Lanskey set and thanks to Henning I can successfully get my knifes shaving sharp. FINALLY ++>:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:18 am 

Then i would seriously look at the spyderco para mil 2 with cpm s30v steel. Its sharpens fine with a lansky and keeps an edge very well.

404 Jeffery

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 pm 

Does anyone know where such good types of steel can be obtained for knifemaking?,and not 10 tonnes at a time.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:53 pm 

www.kmts.co.za/ this is a good start.

222Rem Brno Fox
22LR Brno mod2
9mm Sig P250 FS

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm 

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/discove ... ife-steel/

This is a good chart to see in which category knife steels fall.

I would personally for EDC not look at anything that is not in the ultra premium or premium category (there are other good steels, im talking about this list only)

Another great sleet is the cpm s110v. Knives made from this sleep are pretty pricey but worth every cent (my opinion )

I have a spiderco Manix 2 S110V and ita great

Good luck
Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 am 

Morning, possibly not answering your question directly, but with the cost of knives, try look for syderco's budget brand Byrd, I've had the cara cara for five years or so and used it on everything, resharpen with a lansky and the blade is fine. Sure, it is not a spyderco, the blade is thicker and the knife heavier. Lost a spyderco in the bush, still upset about that one.

If the spyderco range is within your budget, then one of them would be my choice.

John

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:20 pm 

If you can get something in 12c27 Sandvik or K690 From Bohler buy immediately. 440C apparently is also very good. But the other 440's are not good.

I agree with Dries about O1 tool steel, however this is a high carbon steel that will rust. K460 is basically the same as O1 tool. Agree with medic Aus 8 is also an exceptional steel.