JARACAL

Forum vir die Jagter/Forum for the Hunter
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:59 am 

Verskoon die engels, maar ek wil seker maak almal verstaan my....

I own a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 which I bought second-hand, with low mileages, from Mike Hopkins Motorcycles, MHM, (Triumph agent in Cape Town). Within 5 months after the sale the gearbox failed and was stuck in 5th gear and 6th was making a very bad noise. MHM took the bike and repaired it and had the following feedback:
“We have removed the gear box and stripped.
We have found that the major damages are to 6th gear as well as the selector fork.
It seems to us that a fixed pressed gear has moved on the gear shaft which in turn caused movement in the 6th gear and in grinding the gear eventually caused the 6th gear to pack up totally.”
On returning the bike, it had a massive oil leak and MHM had to yet again work on it.

Two weeks ago, something similar happened with much bigger consequences. The gearbox locked up completely at 100 Km/h with myself and my son on the bike. I can only thank God that we did not fell or got hit by other cars. Truly this was a miracle.

The failure on the gearbox was so extensive that almost all the gears was broken. Due to the lockup, even the supporting structure for the drive shaft arm was severely bend.

What infuriates me is that Triumph is not willing to fix the bike since it is out of warranty. Clearly this is a massive failure that I could not avoid, no matter what I did. Triumph, and MHM, has endangered my life and they are just turning a blind eye to the situation. MHM is also not willing to get involved.

I am on my own with and expensive bike with extensive damage.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am 

Compounding to your current problem is also the fact that Triumph has left the South African market, with yet to appoint another importer locally. They issued a statement saying they will honor repairs and services, but I doubt that spares etc will be readily available. I would contact Kawasaki South Africa, and get the international team involved so that they perhaps can look at resolving it when the new local SA importer have been appointed. They recon, from what I have heard, it could be within the next month or two.

It is a pity that such a great bike suffers these issues due to bad back up support from certain local dealers, I hope that you get a favorable outcome to this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger .338 Win Mag
Brno 12g SxS
CZ 75 9mmP
CZ 83 9mmS
CZ Mod 50 7.65mm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 am 

It seems that something has again moved in the gearbox. The gear has moved into the side of the gearbox and damaged the retainer plate of the bearing. I am not sure if this is the root cause

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 am 

Suzuki kawasaki Honda is die Toyota van die bike wêreld. Die ander goed... Ek sê liewer niks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am 

Kawasaki South Africa is involved.
Mike Hopkins Motorcycles had stripped the bike completely after the previous gearbox failure. They replaced parts in the gearbox.
In my mind there are three parties; Kawasaki South Africa as the distributer, Triumph UK as the manufacturer and Mike Hopkins Motorcycle as the agents and the last people to work on the gearbox.
None of them wants to take responsibility.
I think we as consumers should take note of this and not support these companies. If they are doing this to me, they will do it to someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am 

dehacked wrote:
Suzuki kawasaki Honda is die Toyota van die bike wêreld. Die ander goed... Ek sê liewer niks.

Dit is nou maar so ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:28 am 

Gerrie if no-one is coming to the party to assist you, find out who is the Manager / owner of Mike Hopkins Motorcycle, drop him an e-mail and air your disappointment about their client service on your purchased item. Also mention you are most certainly going to post our dissatisfaction on various websites if they maintain their 'no assistance' stance towards you. Find out who is the two managers at Kawasaki SA and Triumph UK and cc them in your mail - perhaps someone will wake up. That is what i would have done as a last resort.

Take note that if a item has expired it's warrantee - you actually do not have any leverage for a claim.
What i think counts in your favor - is that MHM has worked on your bike's gearbox and shortly afterwards the gearbox failed - they MUST take responsibility for this. Push harder !

Last edited by FHM on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am 

That is my plan and it is in progress. After this coming weekend I will hopefully also have a website up in honour of the bike misfortune and to highlight the terrible support. I also have plans to go to the newspapers.

Unfortunately it is difficult getting the key people's email address.

At the moment I have a list of email addresses from the 3 parties, but I would like to grow this list. I also have the ability to spam them.

I will do anything and will not stop!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 am 

Some info for you which you can use perhaps.
Check out the customer care e-mail of Triumph HQ in RSA below - if you have not brought them up to speed yet - perhaps...

TRIUMPH UK
CONTACT US

For technical assistance or warranty:
In the first instance we ask that you contact your Triumph-authorised dealer directly. If you have done this and your dealer has not been able to help you, please emailafter.sales@triumph.co.uk, outlining the nature of the problem and quoting the last 6 digits of your motorcycle Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (frame number) and the name of the dealer you have visited (we regret no action can be taken regarding warranty unless your motorcycle has been inspected by an authorised Triumph dealership). Please note this email is applicable to the UK and Ireland only. We regret we cannot assist with warranty queries for bikes registered overseas.

For enquiries relating to Triumph outside the UK and Ireland please contact the Triumph-authorised distributor for your territory. You can find these details on their respective website.

Triumph South Africa HQ
15 Spartan Crescent, Sandton.
011 566 0333
011 448 2340
customercare@triumphmotorcyclessa.co.za

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTriumphSouthAfrica/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm 

Thank you. I am using the email address but was not aware of the Facebook page.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 pm 

www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/

You also have hellopeter as an option.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm 

Ask the manager to have a look under their short term insurance policy they might have the following, Liability for poor workmanship , some policies do have Braodform in place which cover products used by them..... the "damage" for their account will not be that significant.