Can it be done

Dagroep stories en vrae/ Day Calling stories and questions
Leatherhead

Can it be done

Post by Leatherhead » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:40 pm

I farm on a postage stamp with part of the envelope included (compared to some people) and have to squeeze every ounce of production out of the land. Fenced (electric) all my camps off individually; from the energizer with three independent systems, and maintain the functionality of the systems weekly. (It can be done) Location: Karroo near Kommadagga/Somerset East.
OK; background done. For people aware of the area, the terrain is not conducive to being able to see 400m downwind when calling, and night calling soon becomes fruitless because a jackal has a 70% plus chance of approaching, identifyiyng you, and then withdrawing without you becoming aware of his presence. i.e. "Baie Slim Jakkalse"

So I converted to day calling, and with the e-fence systems I have in place; mainly "voorsit" with an adaption. You build a routine with stock-work. Collect from a certain point in the camp, access the camp a certain way, work the stock a certain time and leave the camp a certain way. this becomes a routine that the resident jackal learn very quickly and adapt to.This you can use to your advantage if applied correctly.

Lessons I've learnt are
1. You are being watched from a vantage point

If you have a territorial jackal/s in the area, and did not pitch up with a bakkie full of dogs; the resident jackal are stationed at a vantage point watching your movements and activities. Somewhere they can withdraw without being seen ,usually in the quietest corner furthest from you.

2. Jackal cannot count.

If you follow routine, and at a suitable point, insert yourself into a rudimentary hide with someone in attendance until you are settled and hidden; then get your companion to vacate the area normally, the jackal in the camp will assume you have left as well.

3. Jackal are top of the food-chain once you have left

The resident jackal are brazen and lose all stealth habits if they are convinced they are alone in the area (man has departed) They will investigate all places of interest they think any man has interfered with, water points, kraal, any spot urinated on etc.

4. Respond to any sound 'out of the ordinary'

When "man" is far enough away from the area (2km+) they will respond to most any sound because they are securing their territory after the "invasion"; and if done correctly, will yield even the most wily Jackal within 20min of the camp returning to its "no man state" Just do not overcall 'One sound' of a distress track of the resident food. and you can feed him/them a v-max within a few minutes.

So, background out of the way, I would submit this story.

Summer on the go, December and the 'chistmas beetles' are competing with my tinnitus.
Its 830am and a Saturday, I'm bored and pack my gear into a camo daypack, put my camo on..... gloves and face mask included; chair-rifle (with bull and at-one, feels like it weighs close to what a LMG did) over the shoulder, and GPS in left-hand. Walk into a position I marked out previously, using cover,terrain and all my training and experience I've gained since.
Set up my shooting point and leopard crawl the foxpro caller 30m further. return to rifle the same way and wait for about 30min locating resident game with binoculars and sheep grazing randomly. So I've now achieved "bush" status, and turn on the G7 remote control and let out a "single Howl" that I recorded on a previous occasion. Its 9h30.
Sheep are rustig and springbuck are doing what springbuck do best. A territorial ram roars at young rams passing through and pays scant attention to the females. It's hot and close. Time moves slowly, but I refuse to give in to the temptation to get the disco going and play more tracks.

Closer to 12, midday, a group of sheep suddenly make a half-moon 300m from me lower in the trough of a valley. It takes me about 5min to locate him, the sun is directly overhead and although it is relatively open, I struggle to see him. The sheep are showing me where he is. He's biting off a piece of cactus attached to his left front. The crosshairs are now resting on his chest and I'm trying to estimate bullet drop with the downhill angle of the shot. Been here before, and know the down-angle will make the shot run high, but the range will get the bullet down and probably right on the crosshair.
I squeeze the shot off, the heavy rifle hardly bucks in my shoulder and my sight-picture stays steady enough to see the result. The jackal blends back into the Karroo bushes. The sheep scatter a few yards watching the jackal melt away in seconds. Five minutes later and the silencer has done its job; sheep are lying down again, and the springbuck ram roars at an interloper. I reverse the insertion procedure, the LMG feels like its got a box of 200 rounds attached now.

I Get back to the bakkie and gratefully dig out a bottle of rainwater from behind the seat. Although the bakkie is not going to be an impromptu hearse, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself, and come away with the knowledge that "It can be done" Summer, Hot, Midday. That pair of jackal that has avoided a meeting with Mr Hornady in the darker part of the day for almost three years now, is not infallible.

Fortunately I was applying the 4th law of calling. "practice on someone else's jackal first" I learnt a lot from Sir "T."
Allan was a good neighbor! His memory will never leave!

Capt. Oblivious
Location: Ek weet nie so mooi van spel nie maar ek kan skiet. Lonehill, Sandton

Re: Can it be done

Post by Capt. Oblivious » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Very nice read, thanks for sharing
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Willie

Post by Willie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Like the story telling and the facts. Give us more

Sekelbos

Post by Sekelbos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:15 am

Impressed, thank you and waiting for more.
Elke dag is bef@k

Francois Hugo

Post by Francois Hugo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for sharing the information, good to see some jackal info again!! One day it may come in handy and it confirms what all the "old" jackal hunters are always relaying when the do courses!! ;D

Regards from the Namakwaland

Francois Hugo

spekieries

Post by spekieries » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, agreed I also enjoyed it immensely. That was how we started off many moons ago. Then we had many articles like these and little for sale.

Return to “Dagroep/Day Calling”