JARACAL

Forum vir die Jagter/Forum for the Hunter
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:38 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:31 am 

Hi all

I'm looking to get myself a GSP for hunting and to be a family dog I have looked around and found two respectable breeders but I'm sure there are a few more out there

any info will be muchly appreciated

thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am 

Go have a look here...

http://german-shorthaired-pointer.co.za/

I loved mine.

I will not own another dog but a GSP but then I have to have the time and space to work with the dog.

They are excellent family dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm 

Hi Anthony1,

When you find a suitable breeder (in your mind) first look at the parents(bloodline) of the puppies. If they are true hunters/working dogs it doesn't matter which one of the litter you take. Male or female all the same when it comes down to wingshooting in our country. The are no game-bird that a female cannot retrieve. I prefer female, more eager to please and not peeing against everything.

If you really want good advice call the HPR Field Trial Club. You will not regret it once you have spoken to Slang Viljoen. He will put you on track of a reputable breeder etc. The club(members) has all the experience of the GSP breed in this country. Guys like Slang, Robbie Crawford-Brunt , Jan Tanne, John Weavind, Christine Janse van Rensburg, Koos Meyer, etc are all from the old school an knows how the mind of a GSP works in the veld.

We are currently experiencing a boom of GSP's in SA with many backyard breeders, to the detriment of the wingshooter who wants a proper working dog. I've seen this many times and it is not going to change.Unfortunately.

To save yourself a lot of frustration follow my advice and call them. You don't have to become a field trialer (i am not one). Once you got the dog it is not easy to get rid of it for obvious reason ie getting fond of it, mommy and the children and the natural bonding between man and dog. But rest assured once in the veld and chasing everything that's got feathers and fur is ..........,no words to describe it.

Another word of caution, if the breeder tells you from the onset his dogs are from the for example Veld and Vlei bloodline, Ratel, Jakkals and what ever bloodline look at the papers first. The dogs mentioned are legends in the HPR line but beware it is one hell of a marketing tool. Stand your ground and don't be nice since 10 to 15 years of frustration is all yours unless you are one hell of a gentleman.

The GSP is also excellent family dogs.

Enjoy your search and goodluck. I hope that you will come right as there is nothing like a good dog when hunting game birds.

Regards

Ferdi Bam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm 

Ferdi Bam wrote:
Hi Anthony1,

When you find a suitable breeder (in your mind) first look at the parents(bloodline) of the puppies. If they are true hunters/working dogs it doesn't matter which one of the litter you take. Male or female all the same when it comes down to wingshooting in our country. The are no game-bird that a female cannot retrieve. I prefer female, more eager to please and not peeing against everything.

If you really want good advice call the HPR Field Trial Club. You will not regret it once you have spoken to Slang Viljoen. He will put you on track of a reputable breeder etc. The club(members) has all the experience of the GSP breed in this country. Guys like Slang, Robbie Crawford-Brunt , Jan Tanne, John Weavind, Christine Janse van Rensburg, Koos Meyer, etc are all from the old school an knows how the mind of a GSP works in the veld.

We are currently experiencing a boom of GSP's in SA with many backyard breeders, to the detriment of the wingshooter who wants a proper working dog. I've seen this many times and it is not going to change.Unfortunately.

To save yourself a lot of frustration follow my advice and call them. You don't have to become a field trialer (i am not one). Once you got the dog it is not easy to get rid of it for obvious reason ie getting fond of it, mommy and the children and the natural bonding between man and dog. But rest assured once in the veld and chasing everything that's got feathers and fur is ..........,no words to describe it.

Another word of caution, if the breeder tells you from the onset his dogs are from the for example Veld and Vlei bloodline, Ratel, Jakkals and what ever bloodline look at the papers first. The dogs mentioned are legends in the HPR line but beware it is one hell of a marketing tool. Stand your ground and don't be nice since 10 to 15 years of frustration is all yours unless you are one hell of a gentleman.

The GSP is also excellent family dogs.

Enjoy your search and goodluck. I hope that you will come right as there is nothing like a good dog when hunting game birds.

Regards

Ferdi Bam

Great post Ferdi

Slang knows a GSP.

I dont know if Jakkals is still alive. He was an old dog when I took my pup to the club training and get together.

Slang would put a pigeon down and Jakkals would point...

Was awesome to see the dogs working and the pups learning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm 

+100 for Ferdi's advice. My dad's German GSP bitches are not due to have pups at the moment otherwise I would've recommended him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm 

Anthony,

All the above give excellent advice, the one thing they don't say, is that GSP's need a LOT of exercise, if you live in a town, be prepared to give him / her at the very least a good run, and at least 2 Km a day to expend energy. Mine, with my other dogs get at least 5 Km dedicated run time a day, as well as his work, skip a day, and restart your garden. They are also pretty hard headed, and will try to take your arm every time you offer a finger, but if he knows his place in the pecking order, as Gerhard says, you will never want to be without one.

It is funny how much we learn when we forget that we know it all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm 

A member posted a ad for GsP fore sale about 2 days ago.have a look under free ads for sale